Sunday, September 30, 2007

You Got Lonsdale on My Camacho! (Corojo Cetros)

Postscript: Second tasting - 3/22/08 - My second Camacho Corojo Cetros performed well in a closed-door environment. Good easy draw, but slight trouble getting an even burn for the first two inches. The taste was good, reminiscent of Padron Londres (also a lonsdale), but with a bit of molasses in the mix. Not a "wow" cigar, but a serviceable one. Both times this cigar failed to deliver a warm, fat sweet spot which I've come to expect from the fatter, robusto-sized Camachos. It went out a little to soon, with 1.5 inches left, but I decined to relight. I knew its best moments were behind it. Somewhat of a disappoinment, but a pleasant experience overall.

-------------
First tasting:
This one seemed so unlikely that I just had to bid on it at the Famous auction site: the Camacho Corojo Cetros (natural) - in a lonsdale size. Camacho? Lonsdale? How do you cross heavy metal with a string quartet?

Very well, it turns out. Like most lonsdales, the Camacho Corojo Cetros was a bit milder than it's fatter-ringed brothers. But tasty, fine-burning, and quality-holding until the last inch. Unfortunately, it was breezy outside the night I smoked this, detracting from the cigar-smoking experience. When the wind sucks the smoke out of your mouth, you're getting robbed of flavor. I'll smoke another one of these on a tranquil evening - and I'm guessing the report will be hands-down excellent.

Now to wax philosophical: There's something about the lonsdale shape that I like. Because it's narrower and longer, you get a cooler, less concentrated smoke, but with a pleasingly dusty, powdery consistency.

Then they get strong in the middle, much like a fatter cigar, but still with a certain amount of airy restraint. You don't feel like a hog when you're smoking a lonsdale. You feel dignified, yet fully compensated flavorwise.

I think I'm on the beginning of a lonsdale kick. Bidders, beware!
--------------

No comments: