Friday, September 4, 2009

A surprisingly decent mild: Tierra del Sol Maduro robusto

In a reckless move to "offset the shipping charges" after winning an expensive 5-pack of Rocky Patels at cigarbid.com, I bid a lousy 5 bucks on several five-packs of "Tierra del Sol" maduros. This is Perdomo's super cheapo line, and both the naturals and the maduros are described in promotional blurbs as "mild but flavorful."

Not being a mild fanatic, I was skeptical, especially after learning I'd won 15 of these bargain-basement stogies. No need to kick myself however, because these are decent smokes, and about as good as you can hope to get in mild. Good because they are maduros, so they actually have some body and flavor (unlike your run-of-the-mill Connecticut-shade snorers).

As a lover of full-powered cigars who's had my share of jitters after lighting up a Camacho after breakfast, I would highly recommend trying a Tierra del Sol maduro instead. Think of it as a "morning cigar" that won't leave you bouncing off the walls.

You will find hints of flavor reminiscent of Lot 23 maduros and 826 Slow-Aged maduros. The Tierra del Sol is a mere shadow or ghost of those cigars, admittedly, but no one promised you anything more.

Worth a buck a stick if you can get it that cheap. I'll hang on to a few of these for those rare occasions when low-wattage appeals, and give the rest to my mild-loving friends for Christmas.

No comments: