Sunday, March 20, 2011

Casa Magna Colorado gran toro

The Casa Magna Colorado robusto won first place in Cigar Aficionado's "Best Cigars of 2008" and I've been wanting to try one ever since.

Unfortunately my local cigar shop has only the "gran toro" size, not the robusto. The Casa Magna Colorado gran toro is an adequate full-bodied cigar with a pleasing coffee flavor, but leaves me less than awed. Though well-balanced, it lacks complexity and remains static with little or no development through the ample 90-minute duration. The last third really shouldn't have been smoked. (I don't expect all cigars to deliver all the way to the nub, but it's a nice perk if they do).

On the whole the Case Magna Colorado gran toro is a straightforward full-strength experience, as good as some of the darker (and more expensive) Rocky Patels and Montecristos I've smoked, and much better than the 5-Vegas AAA (which has similar flavor characteristics but runs toward the bitter).

I would still like to try the Casa Magna robusto and hopefully I will find one without having to buy a whole box.

For those of you who have tried the fabulous Casa Magna petite corona  (i.e. the "Pikito") be forewarned that the gran toro has little in common with it. It's as if the two cigars were made with completely different tobaccos, though I'm guessing a subtle variation in the blend alone might account for it.

3 comments:

Cigar Heiress said...

We have the Robusto by the single at Nick's Cigar World. 888-311-9826.

99 Cigar Guy said...

If I ever get to Myrtle Beach I'll be sure to check out Nick's. I have bought from you online and have been pleased with the service!

Anonymous said...

I went to the Big Smoke in Las Vegas in 2008 with my brother on law and we each receive the C.M. in the robusto size. I was really surprised how it hadn't much flavor and the draw was pretty tight which had a lot to do with the lack of flavor. I must have had a bum one and now I would like to try the Oscuro wrapped version and retry the Colorado wrapped version.
Sticks of MN