I like the Doppelbok better than Nestor Miranda's more expensive offerings such as the Special Selection (burns too hot) and '89 Oscuro (not rich enough for my taste). I think the Doppelbok has more flavor and "oomph" than either of those. The Doppelbok is a great cigar for a breezy night or times when you're "on the run" or otherwise not positioned to appreciate a subtle cigar.
I would describe the flavor of the Doppelbok as woody with a sub-layer of flint or mineral and hints of melon-like sweetness. The experience of smoking this straightforward, easy-drawing cigar reminds me of Indian Tabac Super Fuerte robustos, my favorite low-priced cigars. The Dobbelbok comes in a close second.
It shares qualities with other cigars I like including:
- Indian Tabac Super Fuerte Robusto (habano)
- Don Pepin Garcia Cuban Classic 1979
- Nestor Miranda Special Selection
- Oliva Series G Cameroon robusto
- Rocky Patel Edge Corojo toro
- Rocky Patel Olde World robusto (natural/corojo)