Saturday, December 22, 2007

Not Really Juicy, But Good

Review of Drew Estate Natural Juicy Lucy:

After my staid, not quite invigorating experience with half of an Oliva Series V robusto, I pulled out a teeny cigar named the "Juicy Lucy" in the "Natural" line by Drew Estate, after first making sure with the shop clerk that it was NOT a flavored cigar such as Acids (which I've never tried and don't really hanker to).

The clerk assured me it was a straightforward, not flavored cigar, and that it was pretty durned good. So I bought the thing and smoked it.

For a small cigar (only about 3 inches long) it tasted fine. I was a bit put off at first by some sort of sweet tincture that had been applied to the tip a la the dreaded Swisher Sweets. I don't like flavored tips because they mask the true flavor of the cigar smoke, whatever it happens to be. But the flavored tip soon wore off and it became apparent that this little cigar was tasty on its own. A straight, brawny flavor on a par with Rocky Patel Vintage 92 perfectos. Not sweet, despite whatever was painted on the tip.

The flavored tip really does this cigar a disservice. If not for that, I would buy a few more for those late-night cold winter walks. Instead I'll stick to the RP perfectos, or the occasional Arturo Fuente Exquisito when I'm in the mood to splurge.

No comments: