Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Short Sharp Rocky

Tonight I tried a Rocky Patel Vintage 2nds Perfecto 92, a teeny little cigar that I've had my eye on ever since winning a bundle for 25 bucks at cigarbid.com (saved 15 bucks, woo-hoo! ...oh, the twisted psychology of the online buyer.... you could have saved 25 bucks by NOT BUYING ANYTHING AT ALL, idiot!).

Anyway, a midget Rocky Patel! Perhaps this would be the end of my holy grail-like search for the perfect winter cigar.

No. Not if this first one was any indication. It burned hot and dry at first, making me curse Rocky for foisting his funky-shaped leftovers upon me, poor unsuspecting consumer blinded by Rocky-faith. Then it got flavorful in the middle, leading me to forgive Rocky for his perfecto-tipped transgression (how can a pinpoint sized, reverse pyramid foot possibly taste like anything but a hot flame until it burns down to its thicker midsection? And why roll a cigar in this pointless, complicated and expensive manner?) Yes, once I hit the midsection, this cigar tasted wonderful, for the space of about ten minutes. Then it burned extremely hot again, and I had to put it out, a forlorn and much too long-looking stub.

Despite the delectable ten minutes in the middle, I'm not sure I really liked this RP toddler. I'll try a few more, then make up my mind. At least it's strong and memorable, like you would expect from a Rocky. However not much better overall than the Oliva Series G Special G, which is equally ridiculously shaped, and hot and dry except for 10 minutes in the center. On the other hand, this RP was a 2nd, so you have to cut it some slack. And I have no intention of paying full price for the regular Vintage 92 midget perfectos, because $4.50 for a 20 -minute cigar just doesn't seem right.

Boo-hoo. Looks like I'll have to spring for an Oliva Series V torpedo, and sit for an hour in a cigar lounge with all the other lizards. Then I'll only have Cigar Aficionado to blame if I'm disappointed. 94 rating? I'll be the judge of that.

Meanwhile I'll smoke down my remaining RP Vintage 2nds Perfectos while walking the dog.

No comments: