Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Dull, Dull, Dull: Partagas Spanish Rosado Rohito

In my quest to find the perfect short cigar, I stumble across some real dogs sometimes. The Partagas Spanish Rosado Rohito (4.5 by 50) is one such canine: A tightly wrapped, poor burning, weak-bodied, dull flavored dud of a sludge pole.

The short "Rohito" vitola is difficult to find online (if you're truly interested in buying one, try Bonita Smoke Shop) but my local cigar store happened to have a few.

The cigar looks invitingly brown, rough and beautiful. But the draw is so tight, and the consistency of the smoke so threadbare, that I barely stuck it through to midpoint. If I crunched down on it and closed my eyes, I could almost believe I was smoking a cigar. The best flavor characteristic I could discern in this strenuous manner was a hint of charcoal topped by a frisson of burnt onions. Not my idea of a connoisseur's delight.

I'd be curious to know if I'm the only one who dislikes this cigar. Maybe the other Partagas Spanish Rosado sizes are as good as the online reviewers say. I'm reluctant to take another chance.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are one of an extreme few that dislike this cigar. I have seen two other people give the Spanish Rosado a bad review (not sure if they smoked the Rojito, however), but these two reviewers were apparently known for their disdain of nearly every cigar that is not a pre-embargo Cuban.

Jeff Lopez said...

Partagas Spanish Rosado Rohito is an extremely consistent cigar from start to finish. The construction of the cigar is excellent.The draw is also good. There have been reports of tight draws here, so I’m dropping the rating a bit to allow for my limited sampling of the cigar, however I personally had no problems with draw on any I smoked.I buy my cigars from online Cigar Shop.

Anonymous said...

I've had quite a few of these cigars. I've found a few to be tight rolled and a but difficult at the start. But overall a great cigar that I personally will smoke again.

AshReport.com Staff said...

Everyone is entitled to their opinions in the very subjective world of cigars... for a contrasting opinion check out http://www.ashreport.com/Reviews/Partagas_Spanish_Rosado.php