Friday, May 8, 2009

5 Vegas Miami Torpedo - Getting Better

The 5 Vegas Miami torpedo is an interesting cigar and worth trying. I find it the best of all the 5 Vegas blends and sizes I've tried so far, including the Limitada, which is milder. In fact it is almost as good as that long-gone blend from the "classic" series that I was able to sample once and never again (the current classics are lousy, by the way; stay away from them).

The Miami torpedo is rolled better than the robusto and has a perfect, easy draw that brings lots of full-flavored smoke to your eagerly awaiting maw. The burn is fairly reliable (one touchup needed midway) and the flavor is excellent -- hearty leather, salt and hardwood with a bit of a twang on the tongue.

If you like Don Pepin Garcia creations such as the Cuban Classic series, you'll recognize the flavor characteristics here and probably enjoy them. My only complaint is that it's not a "nubber" - I had almost 2 inches to go when I set this one down.

Not sure I'd call this a great cigar but it is definitely a good one. Last month an auction of multiple "singles" at cigarbid all went for $3 each. That is a real bargain for a cigar of this quality and I'm glad I placed my bid.

No comments: