Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Distant Runner-Up: Rocky Patel Olde World Maduro toro

Update 10/4/2009: The robusto is much better than the toro, see my later review.

First let me clarify that I find the Olde World toros (both maduro and corojo) to be tightly wrapped and somewhat mild. That explains the negative tone of this review. I recommend the robusto size instead, because the robustos are easy-drawing, lush, and full of intense flavor.

I was wrong below to insist that the corojos are "better" than the maduros. Both blends are excellent in the robusto size, just not the toro.

------------------------------------------------------------

The Rocky Patel Olde World maduro toro is a good cigar with typically identifiable Rocky maduro flavors. Yet in comparison to the fuller-bodied Olde World corojos, it seems dainty and disappointing. I know this is bucking the trend of general opinion, but it's the conclusion I draw based on my experience.

First, the flavor was too tranquil and subtle for my liking. Second, the cigar went out several times during the course of the evening. Third, it never developed or strengthened as I would expect a cigar of this length (6.5 inches).

I've found that square-pressed toros of almost any brand tend to be less intense than round vitolas of the same blend. I'm guessing this is because most squares are narrower than a circular 50-ring robusto or toro. Also, the act of box-pressing probably tightens the draw and reduces the strength of the smoke. I will test this theory when I smoke the square toro of the Olde World Corojo: If it too is wispy and placid, I will know that it's a result of the shape, not the blend.

Don't get me wrong, the RP Olde World maduro toro is a fine and enjoyable cigar. It is better than nine-tenths of the competition, and a worthy mild-to-medium smoke. If your tastes lean more to the medium than the strong, you may rate this cigar at the very top of the scale.

But I'm not a mild to medium guy. I like 'em strong and full. For now I will continue to insist that the Olde World corojo is better than the maduro, and is in fact one of the best blends in the universe.
-----------------

4 comments:

Se7en_Vandalay said...

Nice review. I have a stick each of the Maduro and Corojo and I think you've insipired me to do my own heads up comparison. Tanks again.

Tony said...

Thank you for posting. I have only tried the Sun Grown Juniors but you convinced me to try the Olde World corojos.

Anonymous said...

Smoking crack buddy! The maduro has such nice flavor, and I personally think both are good, but the maduro is like no other maduro out there... I have plenty of both, but when I want a real treat, I pull out the dark, rich looking maduro wrapper. I have some olde world corojo "A" size and those seem hard to keep lit. I have never had a draw problem or an issue keeping it lit on the maduro, but that is more about rocky cigars more than maduro bs corojo.

99 Cigar Guy said...

No, I don't do crack.

But yes, I was wrong to insist that the corojos are "better" than the maduros. Both blends are excellent in the robusto size, just not the toro. The toros are too tight and thin-drawing. I learned that later.