Friday, September 10, 2010

Another Plain Old Fuente: Churchill Natural

Courtesy of the folks at Cigars Direct, I got to sample another vitola from the "standard" Arturo Fuente line, or as I've come to know them, the "Plain Ol' Fuentes" because of their lack of distinguishing characteristics.

This time I smoked the 7.25 x 48 Arturo Fuente Churchill natural, A nicely constructed, fine looking, good burning stick that starts out exceedingly mellow, builds up to about medium strength, tastes like slightly honeyed cardboard for the first few inches, and finally gets pleasantly rowdy at the end.

Inches 5 and 6 of this cigar are excellent. If you can hire a stand-in to smoke the first 4 inches while you're puffing away on something else, then put yourself back in to close the game on the Fuente, that would be ideal.

But in the real world you're stuck with another less-than-spectacular Churchill for the duration. I don't know how the Fuentes can manage to utilize a Cameroon wrapper to such muted effect. I can see how some people would like this, just not me.

No comments: