Monday, July 16, 2007

Chocolate? What Chocolate?

Note to self: Beware any cigar promo that mentions "chocolately taste." In my experience, such a taste translates to: Nothing special. Example: Carlos Torano Exodus 1959 (torpedo size). This cigar was heavily ballyhoed both by Cigar Aficionado and CI as having a 93 rating, being the #5 rated cigar of 2006, and having a CHOCOLATELY taste, undertone, hint, etc. I looked forward to this velvety treat with rapture, only to find, on two separate occasions, that it just tasted like... smoke. Good puffy smoke, good burning stick, pleasant, mind you, but NO CHOCOLATE.

Same thing with the fabled Gurkha Centurian XX. Where's the chocolate? Or was it vanilla? No matter, you won't find either flavor. Just smoke. And not that pleasant, mind you.

Is it my taste buds, or is a chocolately-tasting cigar just an illusion dreamed up by copywriters for the major cigar distributors? I don't get it, man. Somebody enlighten me.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My experience has been the same, I've tasted nutty flavors, but never any chocolate

Blogger said...

If you are looking for a solid contextual ad company, I recommend you check out Propeller Ads.