Tuesday, July 24, 2007

The Last Macanudo?

After hearing for months about this legendary brand in catalogs, on the web, and even name-checked in an old episode of Northern Exposure, I finally tried a Macanudo. Hyde Park, maybe, or Duke of Something... not sure, because it came in a sampler pack and the label doesn't spell it out. Man, was I disappointed! Mild is one thing. But treating the palate to a smorgasboard of squirrel breath and fish bones, topped with a hint of boiled cabbage, is another. I expected more from this venerable brand.

I've also noticed that every time a Macanudo finds its way into the Cigar Aficionado ratings pages, it never scores higher than an 86, and for the same reasons this one disappointed me: Harsh, tinny, one-dimensional flavor, when any flavor is discernable at all. Almost as bad as the Saint Luis Rey robusto I tried a few weeks ago, and put out after an inch. I gave the Mac two inches to convince me, then dropped it in the campfire.

Disclaimer: My experience may have been tainted by the fact that I'd smoked two cigars earlier on the same day, and enjoyed them immensely. My palate may have been rendered insensate.

So, I guess I'll have to give the Macanudo brand another chance. But I'm not going out of my way to do it. If a Mac happens to find it's way into a sampler pack, or into the hands of a generous friend, I'm on.

Until then, on to greener pastures.

No comments: