Thursday, July 19, 2007

Live and Let Die: CAO Italia Defeats Cuba Aliados Corojo

Tonight I tried the Cuba Aliados toro (corojo version from C.I.) and the CAO Italia Novella. Two cigars one after the other. Sounds like fiendish behavior, but not really, once you see why.

First, the Cuba Aliados. Great if you love the taste of cardboard, old stinky socks, and drywall, all rolled into one sumptuous blend. Rolando, how could you let me down? I take back the comment I made about all the Puros Indios brands having a distinctive wheaty and sweet sub-flavor. Exception: Cuba Aliados has none of it.

I lit this thing, smoked one inch of it, and decided there had to be something better in this world than another 45 minutes with this pallid imposter of a cigar. So I went to my humidor and picked the smallest stick in the bunch, since it was going on midnight and I have to get up at 6:30 and go to work tomorrow: The CAO Italia Novella (i.e. corona) size. Highly rated by the various cigar-rating aesthetes.

From the beginning, I was captivated: Huge sweet powerful pleasure, smacking me right in the center of the tongue. For 35 minutes, it delivered without faltering.

Gentlemen (and ladies, yes, I know you're out there), if you smoke the CAO Italia regularly (say, once a week), I guarantee you will die of tongue cancer. And you will get down on your knees and thank the Lord Above for granting you the short time on this earth to enjoy these resplendent little bastards.

No comments: