Saturday, June 26, 2010

Padilla Signature 1932 Robusto - Worth the Price?

The Padilla Signature 1932 robusto is a fairly expensive cigar - $270 for a box of 25 online, last time I checked at Cigars Direct. I'm not sure it's worth that price, mainly because it performed well only to the halfway mark then turned bitter.

That's a lot of dollars for 2.5 inches of smoking pleasure.

Those 2.5 inches are excellent, don't get me wrong. This is a great-looking, medium-bodied jewel, perfectly constructed, with lots of cinnamon & nougat nuance in its gentle, layered flavor profile. The draw was not as loose as I would have preferred, making this a less powerful smoke than it wanted to be.

I would love this review to be based on more than just a single stick. However at these prices I'm unlikely to try another Padilla 1932 robusto. Better luck to the rest of you; maybe I just had a bum stick.

For a much heartier cigar with a similar but bolder flavor profile, try the excellent Cuvee Rouge robusto by Cusano. You can get these for $150 per box of 24 and they are well worth it - full body and flavor with a hint of cinnamon and fruit. My mouth is watering now just thinking about it.

No comments: