Wednesday, June 30, 2010

The Hemingway Myth, Confirmed Again

Another chapter in my ongoing Fuente Hemingway story of vexation: Why do people buy into the myth of these overpriced, underperforming cigars?

Case in point: The Hemingway "Best Seller," a 4.5 by 43/55 ring perfecto that I happily obtained from Cigars Direct. This expensive little specimen is hard to light, burns unevenly, requires boatloads of touchup, is inconsistent in flavor (one puff excellent, next puff bitter) and can't be smoked to the nub. Tell me again why I would want to pay $8+ to have this experience, over and over again?

Thousands of Fuente Hemingway smokers can't be wrong, can they...?
Folks, buy yourselves a bundle of Rocky Patel Vintage 92 perfecto factory seconds for $45 and you'll get more out of them than the Hemingway Best Sellers. Heck, you can win the RPs on cigarbid for $35 or less.

If you absolutely refuse to spend less than $6 on a 4.5 inch cigar, try a Casa Magna Pikito. Get a little enjoyment while projecting your purchasing power and worldly sophistication. At least Casa Magna delivers quality for the price.

Every year I give a different Hemingway vitola a try, and every year I shake my head and sigh. Am I the only cigarhead in the world who thinks this emperor is wearing some mighty shabby clothes?

1 comment:

Tampa Cigar Examiner said...

As they say, "different strokes for different folks". I smoke Hemingways frequently, primarily the Signature vitola. I always have a great experience, in fact the Hemingway Signature is one of my "go to" cigars.