Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Cienfuegos Blazer: Overhyped 8-Dollar Cigar

I've managed to try two of the Cienfuegos Blazers (i.e. toro size), supposedly Rolando Reyes' meisterwork. I find this to be an overhyped 8-dollar cigar (or maybe even $12 or $13 at retail, I haven't checked). Luckily I got these two in a 20-stick sampler from Puros Indios that only cost me 32 bucks.

Frankly, I'd rather have a plain old Puros Indios, or a Doble Maduro, or a Viejo 99, all much less expensive blends. Each of them has more sublety and flavor than the Cienfuegos, which tastes like a 2-dollar cigar.

What is lacking, primarily, is flavor. The smoke is rich, a bit tart and a bit creamy, but there's nothing interesting underneath the heft. None of the expected wood or honey oatmeal undertones that you expect from Puros Indios. Instead, a briny, salty fullness that doesn't develop. What were they thinking when they released this cigar? Were they thinking we wouldn't notice, and just keep ordering bundle after expensive bundle?

All through the first half of this cigar, I could only think it was one of the most disappointing and overpriced sticks I've ever smoked, second only to the disastrous Gurkha Centurian. If the Cienfuegos were a 3 or even 4 dollar cigar, I might not complain. No, let's face it, I'd still complain: Even at 3 dollars, it wouldn't be a great smoke.

Then, during the second half, it started to get some flavor - a little leather, a little egg (which I don't mind). But halfway down a cigar is a long time to wait for some quality to emerge.

Aw, shucks, I started thinking at this point: It's not such a bad cigar. Just took a long time to get started. Decent flavor during the last third - however with a slight burning on the tongue.

Then again, no: This is definitely a flawed cigar. Not a total waste of time, but requires too much patience and coaxing. Not the all-around pleasant experience you demand from a premium.

At the last 1.5 inches, the cigar regressed to bitter tar and gumminess. I let it go out.

I will never seek out another Cienfuegos blazer, nor even buy one at discount. It does not pass muster. Sorry, Rolando. I loved all the others in the sampler; even the super-cheapie Flor del Todo, which at least has the decency to give you what you pay for.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I thought this was a decent cigar, though WAY overpriced... a little more oomph than the standard PI, and not quite as nutty. I liked the cedary element in these, though cedar is not hard to come by.

Egg, on the other hand, is a little more elusive. Hard boiled or over easy? I'll be looking for egg -- that's a new descriptor for me. Keep up the great reviews. You got style, brother.

99 Cigar Guy said...

Thanks for the compliment on my reviews, cigarfan.

Regarding the "eggy" flavor I keep referring to: Maybe it's really more akin to mild sulfur. Or maybe it's the "cedar" flavor all the cigar geeks talk about. I wouldn't know, because I've never chewed on a cedar plank.

Unknown said...

I also found this cigar to be WAY sub-par for the price. I might pay 2 bucks for it. Every one I had burned cockeyed and slashways and had soft spot runners all over the place. I also, would prefer a standard Puros Indios over this one.