Tuesday, October 30, 2007

It's the Great Pumpkin, Rocky Patel!

As we approach Halloween, there's no question as to which cigar I want to smoke in commemoration of the spirit world which both fascinates and frightens us. I want something that glows. Something bold and striking. Something spicy and warm and full-bodied that will get me through a night of hoot owls, skeleton suits and scary little girls dressed up like Britney Spears. Most of all, I want something that tastes like warm pumpkin pie straight out of grandma's oven, with a little nutmeg and whipped cream on top: I want a Rocky Patel Vintage 92 Seconds torpedo.

Yes, you heard me right: 1) a 2nd, not a first and 2) one redolent of pumpkin pie. Not the store-bought Sarah Lee variety, mind you, but something hand-made with love and care from a recipe handed down through the ages. Something made not just with ingredients, but magic.

This RP 92 second has a bewitching flavor all its own, with a hint of caramel and Indian tea spices underneath, that gets more powerful as the cigar burns down. The burn, by the way, is incredible: The first time I smoked one, it lasted an hour and a half, with ever-increasing power and spice, never turning bitter or overpowering even to the lip-searing nub. Afterward, I found myself wishing I had 15 more. But I only had three, having foolishly divided the bundle weeks earlier with my work-mates.

The next time I smoked one, it lasted even longer, and I wished I had 30 more: Same rich, warm, deep and complex flavor, same perfect burn and draw. The third time I smoked one? Sadly, there was no third time. My third RP 2nd was untimely ripped from my hands by a thoughtless man named Brad.

Back to the review: If these righteous sticks are "seconds," I'm wondering what exactly are the "firsts" that they've been culled from, because I've never had a regular RP Vintage that looked or tasted like these. It makes me wonder if the "vintage seconds" name is a marketing ruse, and it's really a full-fledged blend of its own that Rocky sells for cheaper than his Vintage lines. Whatever the case, the result is a winner.

On my second go-round with this cigar, I was halfway through when my wife dragged me inside the house to watch a TV show. I compromised by leaving the cigar on the deck and stealing out for a few puffs during commercials. Surprisingly, no re-lighting was required: Even after being gone for as long as 9 minutes, it only took a puff or two to get this thing blazing away again. And the flavor was even better because of the long, cool burn between draws. Unbelievable. I darted back and forth for the next 45 minutes, hardly missing any of the TV show or the cigar. When the show was over, I went back out and homed in on the last 2 inches of this incredible pleasure bomb. All told, this magnificent "reject" burned for 2 hours and 15 minutes, with no lapse in flavor, draw, or burn. It probably would have burned for 3 hours if I'd smoked it through another TV show.

So the heck with the "real" Rocky Patel Vintage lines at 10 bucks a pop. Just give me these 3-dollar Vintage "seconds." I wish I had 60 more of them. No, make that 600.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

The Factory Seconds and Factory Selects are RP Sun Grown seconds, not Vintage seconds. Totally different wrapper, totally different smoke. The Vintage Seconds are good as well, but the Sun Grown Factories are brilliant. I see more of them in your future!

99 Cigar Guy said...

Thanks cigarfan, I meant to say I was smoking a "Vintage 92 second" in the "Great Pumpkin" post - I've corrected it by removing "factory" from all the places it mistakenly appeared.

If the sun grown seconds are actually better than the 92s, I'm gonna have to grab a bundle. Thanks for the tip.

Anonymous said...

Great site, 99. I enjoy the candor in your tasting descriptions. I, too, lack the sophistication to taste "lemongrass smothered with the entrails of a young wood duck" in the CAO America torpedo I'm smoking right now. But it's got a good good, light, sweet flavor mixed with the smell of something creamy. Like someone dropped their s'more into the campfire...

Great site, keep up the quest... not sure about that universe thing... maybe you should be the "42 cigar guy"?

Anonymous said...

I received my bundle of seconds yesterday, decided not to wait for humi action and smoked the first.
Pal, you nailed the flavor. Nicely done!
StogieReview just posted a review of the RP 92 Vintage (firsts, I guess) and they, like all of us were unimpressed.

Nice work.

StogieBoys said...

The Sun Grown line is fantastic, one of my top 3 favorite smokes hands down!

Abbs said...

Thanks.

how to get a flat stomach