Wednesday, October 10, 2007

A Disappointing Cohiba

With light-shade wrapped cigars, you never know what you're going to get until you try. Some of them can be full and sweetly flavorful, like the Rafael Gonzalez robusto and Creme de Jamaica robusto. Others are dull and papery, like the Excaliber epicure and Macanudo Hyde Park robusto. Others cost so dang much, you want them to taste good almost by force of will, but they don't. Case in point: Cohiba robusto.

You hear so much about the revered Cohiba brand. So, what joy I felt upon receiving one along with a bunch of other less expensive brands in my introductory $19.95 Famous new customer pack.

I kept this baby in my humidor for weeks, waiting for the right time and place, and hoping that this would be a tasty light (natural) cigar rather than a dull papery one.

No such luck. It was dull and papery, though probably the most high-quality dull paper one could hope for. About halfway through the cigar, I finally started getting some tingling on the tongue. But the draw was tight and the smoke piddling. This is not why I buy a cigar. And if it's why you buy a cigar, why then I just don't understand you.

So, mental note: No light-shade Cohibas. Maybe maduro next time.

No comments: