Monday, October 8, 2007

Finally, a Gurkha Centurian That Tasted Good!

Last night I gave my wife the last of the 12 Gurkha Centurians I had bought several months ago. I'd been letting her smoke them down, one by one, because she liked them and I thought they were nothing but insipid, overpriced drumsticks.

She let me light the last Centurian for her and, lo and behold, the thing sparked right up with a rich draw and a tart, spicy flavor that NONE of the other 11 had delivered. And as we smoked through the next hour, this final Centurian continued to burn well, taste great, and blow prodigious volumes of smoke.

How could the previous 11 have been so bad? Theories:

1) Number 12 had been in my humidor the longest. Maybe it opened up somehow. But it seems unlikely. Number 12 had been in the humidor only about 10 days longer than number 11, and so forth regressing back to number 1.

2) Whoever rolls these cigars really doesn't know what they're doing and can only get one out of 12 right. If that's the case, it is truly sad, because Gurkha is getting 13 bucks each for these at online stores, and God knows how much at retail.

3) The other 11 Gurkhas were in fact imposters, fakes placed in the distributor's warehouse by some shifty middleman looking to make a buck. Or maybe someone at the factory is substituting cheap tobaccos and selling the good leaves to a competitor, and Gurkha corporate doesn't even know it.

And maybe there's a whole other universe under my fingernail, and maybe everything we think we know isn't true, and someone from another galaxy is conducting an experiment using us as guinea pigs and we're all going to get swallowed up by some magnetic force field coming at us from another dimension.

But seriously - how can 11 cigars in a lot be horrible, simply awful, and the last one be excellent? If anyone has any thoughts, I'd truly like to hear them.
-

6 comments:

Unknown said...

mold or other pests could have had an adverse effect on your cigar experience. also, if the first eleven had at some time experienced humidification problems,they could have "spoiled"

Anonymous said...

Maybe this guy is simply a moron and shouldn't be posting any idotic comments on the web, but then again, as long as fools like this clown run down great cigars, it means more for the rest of us at a cheaper price. Keep going whoever you are!

Anonymous said...

Ouch, that hurt! Please try to hate the cigar, not the smoker!

Anonymous, kind sir, keep on buying those Gurkha Centurians! Enjoy! And remember, it's only a web page!

Anonymous said...

My personal favorite cigar, I might not know art, but I know what I like.

Anonymous said...

An interesting story. I have selected this cigar as my all time favorite. I have smoked 30-40 and have NEVER had a bad one. In fact, the only cigar i have smoked down to finger burning length.

Anonymous said...

they are not bad... not unsmokable but there is not much to them complexity wise. For the price these pull in there are MANY better sticks. I got mine for under 3 bucks a piece and even at that price i felt like i paid too much.