Sunday, October 21, 2007

Money to Burn: La Aurora Preferidos Round #2

Again, if you have lots of money to burn... the La Aurora Preferidos Sapphire Connecticut Blue Tube is a nice way to treat yourself. For a Connecticut, this thing has lots of depth and strength; almost as much as the Ruby/maduro version.

One thing I learned this time around is, give yourself plenty of circumference to draw from. At first I clipped just a teeny bit off the dovetail, which usually works for me with torpedos. But the draw was just too tight. So I cut away almost half an inch, and the draw opened up and this became a fine cigar, almost worth the 192 dollars or whatever astronomical price my wife paid at the local cigar shop (in this most heavily taxed of states).

Which leads me to wonder - why expend all that effort on rolling a torpedo, when the end user ends up cutting it off and throwing it away? Wouldn't it be better to make that last inch actually smokable? Much like the absurd length of a Churchill, it seems topedos and perfectos are specially-designed only to waste tobacco.

One great thing about the Aurora tubo cigars is the way they smell - all vanilla and almondy inside those salacious-looking tubes. I was temped to chow down on the cigar rather than light it. The tube carries the fragrance even now, long after I smoked the cigar. The aroma was so enticing, in fact, that for a moment I considered not smoking it at all, just leaving it in the tube so I could take an intoxicating whiff from it every week or so.

I guess there are worse things you could be taking a whiff of. Anyway this is probably the last time I'll ever smoke an Aurora Preferidos tubo. On my next birthday I'll ask the wife for something else; maybe a Fuente Hemingway, or a Padilla 1932, or a Coronado by La Flor. Something long and straight and expensive, that never goes on sale at Famous or CI. And doesn't come in a cutesy girly tube that could be confused for a lipstick applicator or a sex toy...

But the two Auroras were good while they lasted.

No comments: